The US Army Acquisition Support Center (USAASC)’s Functional Area (FA) 51 Military Proponency Office provides career development and training information and policy to officers and non-commissioned officers (NCOs) who are acquisition workforce members in one of the five DOD Acquisition Career Fields (ACFs):
- 51A: Program Management
- 51C: Contracting
- 51S: Systems Planning, Research, Development, and Engineering
- 51R: Information Technology
- 51T: Testing and Evaluation
The USAASC is the FA51 proponent for the Active Army and US Army Reserves, while the National Guard Bureau Acquisition Career Management Office (NGB-PRAC-ACMO) serves as the FA51 proponent for the National Guard.
The goals of the USAASC’s FA51 Military Proponency Office include:
- Develop policy and procedures for acquisition officer and NCO career development and training
- Ensure officers and NCOs understand the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) requirements for ACF certification
- Ensure that officers and NCOs understand the various duties that they may perform as a member of the acquisition workforce
- Establish training requirements and provide educational opportunities to ensure the Army has skilled and proficient Acquisition Officers and NCOs.