DAU Furlough Guidance
General Information | Training Priority Information | Prerequisite Training Requirements | Equivalency-Predecessor-Fulfillment | Documents | Helpdesk Information | FAQs | FY12 New Contracting Changes | 400 Level Training Courses | DAU Furlough Guidance
As a result of furlough, DAU recently released a new schedule for the duration of FY13 in the DAU Furlough Memo on Training Impacts in FY13. Key points from the memo are as follows:
- Once DAU implements the furlough schedule, it will apply through Sept. 20, 2013.
- Modifies the DAU training schedule to account for DAU staff furlough.
- Stresses that the Terminal Learning Objectives and Enabling Learning Objectives will not be compromised despite shortened course length.
- Requests that students align their homeport furlough schedule with DAU’s furlough schedule during their training period.
- DAU course welcome letters will be revised to include new dates and instructions regarding the furlough course schedule.
- DAU will keep up-to-date furlough information on their website. Updates will be posted weekly by COB Friday.
DAU Travel Options During the Furlough Period
The revised Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance dated 10 June 10, 2013, states “employees cannot engage in official travel during furlough hours.” As a result, students who must travel to attend DAU courses can consider one of three DAU travel OPTIONS during the furlough period:
- Employees adjust their furlough day to fall outside the span of the DAU course offering days and into an adjacent pay period. Therefore, the days before and after class would be the employee’s regular work days and their travel days.
- Employees travel to/from the DAU course on their furlough day (assuming the furlough day is the day before and/or after class). For example, if an employee furlough hours falls on Monday, from 0800 to 1600, the employee may travel on Monday, starting at 1601 since OPM guidance only prohibits travel during furlough hours and does not specifically prohibit travel on that same day after furlough hours end.
- Employees travel the day before or after their scheduled furlough day.
- The information listed above provides suggested DAU travel options. Employees should work in concert with their supervisor on an agreed upon option.
- Once travel is approved, the employee is eligible to be appropriately compensated per CPOL Administrative Furloughs guidance.
- Civilian employees already at the TDY location during a furlough day are entitled to all travel allowances.
- Civilian employees may receive comp time for travel required for training. Employees should seek approval from their authorized agency official.
- Students attending a course locally will not be affected other than following DAU’s new furlough schedule.
- If attendance at DAU training requires an airline flight, the flight on the last training day must be no earlier than 6:30 p.m.
- The U.S. Army Acquisition Support Center (USAASC) Budget and Quota Management support is also subject to furlough. All requests, to include submission of the travel worksheet (for students approved for DAU funding), should be completed as soon as possible. A 20% reduction in the workforce may create a backlog.
Please note that updated guidance from the Army G-1 or Dept of Defense may follow. Any additional furlough guidance regarding DAU travel will be reflected here.
DAU Training Furlough Schedules:
- View the DAU Furlough Schematic for the FY13 schedule
- View the Furlough Schematic for the remaining DAU FY13 classes
- Training required for your Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) certification is a mission critical activity and is exempt from cuts stated in Deputy Secretary Carter’s memo, “Handling Budgetary Uncertainty in Fiscal year 2013” Jan. 10, 2013.
- DAU central funds are entirely separate from budgetary actions within a service or agency to mitigate budget execution issues in FY13. As a reminder, DAU travel for required DAWIA certification courses is centrally funded by DAU through the USAASC so long as the traveler selects a cost effective location. For details, see “Status of Travel Funding for the Defense Acquisition University (DAU) Training in FY13”, Jan. 29, 2013.
- If you have any questions regarding your ability to comply with DAU’s furlough schedule, please consult with your supervisor and your human resources department.