The AN/MPQ-64 Sentinel provides persistent air surveillance and fire control quality data through command and control systems to defeat unmanned aerial systems (UAS), cruise missiles and fixed- and
rotary-wing aircraft threats.
The system features an X-Band, 360-degree phased array air defense radar with a 75-km instrumented range. It is equipped with Electronic Counter-Counter-Measure (ECCM) capabilities, a Mode 5 Identification Friend or Foe subsystem for positive identification of friendly aircraft, and Non-Cooperative Target Recognition capabilities to identify threat aircraft. Sentinel is trailer-mounted, pulled by either a High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle or an M1082 Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles (FMTV) truck. The system generator with a command and control interface is mounted on the vehicle.
Sentinel interfaces with the Integrated Air and Missile Defense (IAMD) Battle Command System architecture, the Forward Area Air Defense Command and Control System, and the National Capital Region Integrated Air Defense Command and Control System. Sentinel also interfaces with the Counter-Rocket, Artillery, Mortar (C-RAM) Increment 1 system to protect friendly aircraft during engagement of incoming indirect fire.
Sentinel is undergoing modifications to further enhance its UAS and cruise missile detection and tracking capability. Additional modifications are ongoing to convert all radars from the AN/MPQ-64A1 Improved Sentinel configuration to the AN/MPQ-64A3 Enhanced Sentinel. In addition to internal improvements, Enhanced Sentinel is integrated with the FMTV to enable additional vehicle cab armor protection for its two-man crew.
BENEFIT TO THE WARFIGHTER
Sentinel provides persistent air surveillance and fire control quality data to the warfighter through command and control systems to defeat unmanned aerial systems, cruise missiles and fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft threats.
- All-weather, 360-degree capability
- Range: 75 km
- Three-dimensional X-Band radar
- Supports current AMD, C-RAM and Integrated Fire Protection Capability (IFPC) Block 1
- 3QFY15-4QFY15: Sentinel support to IAMD Flight Tests
- 3QFY15: Begin full fleet upgrade to the FMTV platform
- 1QFY16: Sentinel A3 Materiel Release
- 1QFY16-2QFY16: Sentinel support to IAMD Flight Tests and Limited User Test
- 2QFY17: Sentinel Software Materiel Release supporting IAMD
- 2QFY18: Sentinel software upgrade supporting IFPC Block 1 Limited User Test
- 1QFY19: Sentinel Modernization Milestone B
FOREIGN MILITARY SALES
- Egypt, Lithuania, Turkey, Latvia and Iraq
- The Cruise Missile Defense Systems Project Office established a Sentinel Radar Software International Engineering Services Program with six partner nations: Oman, Egypt, Norway, Netherlands, Finland and Chile
- Direct Commercial Sales (hardware) with classified software sold via foreign military sales (U.S. government controls Sentinel software): Norway, Netherlands, Spain, Mexico, Finland and Oman
- Thales Raytheon Systems (Fullerton, CA; El Paso, TX; Forest, MS; Largo, FL)
- SETA Contract: IRTC (Huntsville, AL)