The Joint Vaccine Acquisition Program (JVAP) consists of seven components:
Anthrax Vaccine Absorbed (AVA): Sustainment
- The Anthrax Vaccine Absorbed is the only Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-licensed anthrax vaccine in the United States that provides protection against cutaneous, gastrointestinal and aerosol infection by battlefield exposure to Bacillus anthracis.
Recombinant Plague Vaccine (PLG VAC): ACAT II
- The Recombinant Plague Vaccine is a highly purified polypeptide produced from bacterial cells transfected with a recombinant vector from the Yersinia pestis bacterium to prevent pneumonic plague.
Recombinant Botulinum Toxin Vaccine A/B (BOT VAC A/B): ACAT II
- The Recombinant Botulinum Bivalent Vaccine is comprised of nontoxic botulinum toxin heavy chain fragments of serotypes A and B formulated with an aluminum hydroxide adjuvant and delivered intramuscularly prior to potential exposure to botulinum toxin.
Smallpox Vaccine System (SVS): Sustainment
- The Smallpox Vaccine System provides both the ACAM2000™ smallpox vaccine and the Vaccinia Immune Globulin, Intravenous (VIGIV) to vaccinate and protect the warfighter from potential exposure to smallpox. Both products are FDA-approved.
Filovirus Vaccine (FILO VAC):
- The Filovirus Vaccine program addresses an essential capability gap for protecting warfighters against aerosolized filovirus for which there is no current therapeutic. Target filovirus strains include Ebola Sudan, Ebola Zaire and Marburg.
Ricin Vaccine (RIC VAC):
- The Ricin Vaccine program will develop a vaccine against the A and B chains of this threat agent and validate performance against aerosolized material.
Western, Eastern Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis Vaccine (WEVEE VAC):
- The WEVEE VAC program will develop a vaccine against three arboviruses with the goal of a single product protecting against all three threats.
The Bioscavenger program fills an urgent capability gap in the warfighter’s defense against nerve agents by development of a nerve agent prophylactic that significantly reduces or eliminates the need for postexposure antidotal therapy.
BENEFIT TO THE WARFIGHTER:
JVAP and Bioscavenger provide protection to the warfighter against aerosolized biological warfare agents and a broad spectrum of nerve agents.