Provides an active infrared (IR) laser-based countermeasure to protect DOD rotary-wing, tilt rotor and small fixed-wing aircraft against IR-guided missiles.
CIRCM integrates defensive IR countermeasures capabilities into existing, current-generation aircraft to engage and defeat man-portable air defense systems (MANPADS). The CIRCM system is comprised of a pointer-tracker unit, IR laser, and system processor unit (depending on the selected design).
CIRCM is part of a suite of infrared countermeasures that also includes a missile warning system (MWS) and an Improved Countermeasure Dispenser (ICMD) for flares and chaff. The Army’s current MWS is the Common Missile Warning System (CMWS) with the third-generation electronic control unit (ECU), which is responsible for detecting and declaring on an IR threat. Both CIRCM and the ICMD receive the handoff from CMWS and provide appropriate countermeasures to defeat the threat.
CIRCM is the lightweight solution to the highly combat effective Advanced Threat Infrared Countermeasures (ATIRCM) system which is installed on CH-47F aircraft.
- Common Missile Warning System
- 2QFY15: Milestone A, technology maturation and risk reduction completes
- 3QFY15: Milestone B, entering into engineering and manufacturing development
- FY16: Critical design review
- FY17: Milestone C award, entering into low rate initial production