The Defense Enterprise Wideband SATCOM Systems (DEWSS) provide combatant commanders and deployed Soldiers, as well as joint service personnel, DOD and national leadership, with secure, high-capacity satellite connectivity, enabling reachback for voice, video and data communications and transfer of intelligence information. DEWSS also provides the satellite payload control systems needed to plan, monitor and manage networks on the Wideband Global SATCOM (WGS) System and the Defense Satellite Communications System (DSCS), ensuring efficient use of wideband satellite resources. DEWSS provides the bulk of DOD’s satellite hub infrastructure and systems deployed worldwide, and leads the modernization of enterprise military satellite communications capabilities across the agency.
The DEWSS SATCOM portfolio includes terminal and baseband products that are integrated into a system-of-systems architecture supporting strategic communications infrastructure; presidential communications; the DOD Information Network; Army LandWarNet; the Ballistic Missile Defense System; and tactical reachback for deployed forces through DOD satellite communications gateways. DEWSS is a program of programs that fields new systems; replaces old equipment with new equipment; modernizes existing systems; and provides comprehensive acquisition expertise, systems engineering and integration in support of other service program offices and defense agencies, including the DOD Teleport Program and the Missile Defense Agency.
The DEWSS portfolio includes:
- 10 major systems and 50 projects.
- 18 enterprise SATCOM Gateway locations supporting Army, strategic, joint and international partners.
- Five wideband SATCOM operations centers and six remote monitoring and control elements worldwide.
- The Senior National Leadership Communications program (also known as the U.S.-Moscow Hotline), providing reliable, secure communications between the president of the United States and the president of the Russian Federation during times of crisis to reduce the risk of war.
BENEFIT TO THE WARFIGHTER
DEWSS provides these critical satellite and terrestrial communication systems for the warfighter:
- Enterprise earth terminals.
- Satellite control terminals.
- Restoral terminals.
- Subsystems and modems.
- Baseband systems.
- Payload planning and configuration.
- Wideband SATCOM operations centers.
- Regional satellite support centers.
- Global satellite support centers