Medium Caliber Ammunition (MCA) includes 20 mm, 25 mm, 30 mm, and 40 mm armor-piercing, high-explosive, smoke, illumination, training and antipersonnel cartridges with the capability to defeat light armor, materiel and personnel targets. These munitions provide overwhelming lethality in MCA and point- and area-target engagement via medium hand-held and crew-served weapons.
BENEFIT TO THE WARFIGHTER
Standard ammunition provides the warfighter with the necessary lethality needed to defeat the enemy. Specialty 40 mm rounds provide specific tools for the warfighter (e.g. illumination). The Counter-Rocket, Artillery, and Mortar (C-RAM) defends against enemy rocket, mortar and artillery fires.
- Various specifications used are dependent on weapon platform, caliber and target set and effect.
- 20 mm cartridge is a multipurpose tracer with self-destruct, used in the C-RAM weapon system
- 25 mm target practice (TP), high-explosive incendiary and armor-piercing cartridges are fired from the M242 Bushmaster Cannon from the Bradley Fighting Vehicle
- 30 mm TP and High Explosive-Dual Purpose (HEDP) cartridges are fired from the M230 chain gun mounted on the Apache and Blackhawk helicopters
- Varieties of 40 mm TP, HEDP and specialty cartridges are designed for use in the M203 Grenade Launcher, M320 Grenade Launcher and the MK19 Grenade Machine Gun
- Current: Production and sustainment
- FY16: Cannon-caliber and 40 mm legacy production and sustainment
- FY16: New multiyear 40 mm production contract
- FY16: Develop 40 mm day, night and thermal cartridges
- FY16: Qualify 30 mm ammunition for Stryker Infantry Combat Vehicle 2nd Cavalry Regiment lethality upgrade
FOREIGN MILITARY SALES
- 30 mm: Netherlands, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Japan, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates and Taiwan
- 40 mm: Iraq, Afghanistan, Bahrain and Philippines
- General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems (Marion, IL; Red Lion, PA)
- Orbital ATK (Radford, VA; Independence, MO; Rocket City, WV)
- AMTEC Corp. (Janesville, WI; Camden, AR)