Rocket, Artillery, Mortar (RAM) Warn provides early, localized warning of indirect fire (IDF) threats to all Maneuver Brigade Combat Teams (BCT). The RAM Warn program evolved from the operational success of the Counter-Rocket, Artillery, Mortar (C-RAM) Program and is a horizontal technology insertion using current C-RAM warning capability. Integration of RAM Warn equipment provides a warn capability to BCT for detection of threat RAM rounds and transmission of the detection data to the command and control (C2) element for correlation and determination of a predicted point of impact (POI). Based on the POI, the C2 then determines which warning nodes should send “incoming” warning alarms and transmits this information to the appropriate warning nodes.
BENEFIT TO THE WARFIGHTER
Timely warning enables those BCT personnel in the hazard area of an inbound IDF threat to seek cover or a prone position prior to impact, thus reducing casualties for the warfighter.
- Employs the Air Defense Airspace Management (ADAM) Cell already resident in the BCT Headquarters as the C2 element
- Networks existing radars in the Target Acquisition Platoon of the Fires Battalion as the sense element
- Adds enhanced C2 warning devices, controllers and dedicated communications between the existing radars, the ADAM Cell and warning systems
- 1QFY13: Milestone C, Low-Rate Initial Production approval
- 2QFY14: Full Materiel Release
- 2QFY14: Initial Operational Capability
- 3QFY14: Full-Rate Production Decision Review
- FY16-FY18: RAM Warn production and fielding continues
FOREIGN MILITARY SALES
- Northrop Grumman (Huntsville, AL)