Tactical Network Transport equipment delivers seamless, assured mission command, advanced communications and a comprehensive common operating picture in support of joint, coalition and civil missions worldwide. As part of the Army’s tactical network, Tactical Network Transport establishes an at-the-halt network backbone that provides the full range of data, voice and video communications to command posts at the battalion and above echelons, using both line-of-sight (terrestrial) and beyond-line-of-sight (satellite/tropospheric) communications nodes.
BENEFIT TO THE SOLDIER
At-the-halt capability has been fully fielded since 2012 to more than 90 percent of the Army and meets the Army’s at-the-halt operational requirements. To support expanding network requirements and improve the readiness of today’s operational force, the Army continues to implement upgrades to the at-the-halt capability that increase and optimize bandwidth, improve capability and interoperability while hardening cyber security.
Three types of transportable network nodes provide high-speed wide area network capability for secure voice, video and data exchange
- Tactical Hub Node (THN) supports division headquarters
- Joint Network Node (JNN) supports brigade-level headquarters
- Battalion Command Post Node (BnCPN) supports battalion-level headquarters.
Regional Hub Node, a fourth type of node, is a fixed installation equivalent to three THNs used to support theater-level operations.
Satellite Transportable Terminal a highly transportable and mobile satellite system, operates in conjunction with the JNN and BnCPN. It is designed to establish secure voice, video and data communications virtually anytime and anywhere.
FY18: Conclusion of fielding effort of End of Life Tech Refresh against Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) obsolescence
- Fielding for next baseline of End of Life Tech Refresh against COTS obsolescence
- Procuring and Fielding wireless capability to Brigade, Expeditionary Signal Battalion and Above
- Fielding coalition local area network capability and Top Secret Enclave to selected units