Acquisition Category : ACAT III
Acquisition Life Cycle Phase:
Engineering & Manufacturing Development
Production & Deployment
Operations & Support
The Defense Enterprise Wideband SATCOM System (DEWSS) provides strategic satellite communication systems and satellite network control and planning systems for the Defense Satellite Communications (SATCOM) and the Wideband Global SATCOM (WGS) system satellite constellations. DEWSS includes two major capabilities:
- Wideband Satellite Operations and Management System (WSOMS) enables the Army to efficiently plan and manage the global SATCOM network.
- Enterprise Wideband Satellite Terminal System (EWSTS) provides large aperture satellite communication terminals and associated satellite modems, multiplexers, routers, and supporting telecommunications equipment to strategic Army SATCOM gateway facilities worldwide.
The WSOMS and EWSTS systems are integrated into a system-of-systems architecture supporting strategic communications infrastructure, presidential communications, the Department of Defense (DoD) Information Network, Army LandWarNet, the Ballistic Missile Defense System Communications Network, and tactical reach-back for deployed forces through SATCOM gateway facilities around the world.
BENEFIT TO THE SOLDIER
Highly available strategic military satellite communication systems enable Warfighters to execute worldwide command and control of deployed forces.
- Network planning and satellite control systems enable joint use of the WGS system for DoD users
- Provides super high-frequency military X-Band and KuBand satellite communication terminals
- Blend of military standard and commercial-off-the-shelf communication equipment ensures highly available network with 99.9% operational availability
- Modernized first SATCOM terminal for Senior National Leadership Communications, providing dedicated critical communications between the United States and foreign countries
- Established Wideband Integration Center at Tobyhanna Army Depot, Pennsylvania, providing organic capability for integration and independent verification and validation of WSOMS subsystems
- Completed equipment installation at new SATCOM gateway facility at Camp Roberts, California
- Completed fielding of 14 additional AN/GSC-52B satellite terminals under the Modernization of Enterprise Terminals (MET) program
- Completed precision timing system upgrades at all Army SATCOM gateway facilities
- Complete fielding of all remaining AN/GSC-52B satellite terminals for Army SATCOM gateways
- Field modernized equipment to new SATCOM gateway facilities at Fort Buckner, Japan, and Landstuhl, Germany
- Implement MET tech refresh for solid state Ka amplifiers, MET computing environment, and Digital IF L-Band patch
- Modernize Payload Control Architecture to counter existing cyber threats and enhance resilience of the WSOMS architecture
- Complete the development and fielding of next generation Frequency Division Multiple Access Modem
FOREIGN MILITARY SALES
- L3Harris (Melbourne, FL)
- Northrop Grumman (Manassas, VA)
- IAP Inc. (McLean, VA)
- Boeing (Huntington Beach, CA)
- Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (Laurel, MD)