The Enhanced Medium Altitude Reconnaissance and Surveillance System (EMARSS) provides a persistent airborne intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capability to detect, locate, classify, identify and track surface targets with a high degree of timeliness and accuracy during day, night and nearly all weather conditions. It enhances Brigade Combat Team effectiveness by defining and assessing the communications environment and providing surveillance, targeting support and threat warning.
EMARSS contains a tailored set of Distributed Common Ground System-Army (DCGS-A) enabled software intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance functionalities to process, exploit and rapidly disseminate the intelligence derived from the imagery sensors. Selected EMARSS imagery is immediately processed on the aircraft and forwarded to DCGS-A for further processing, analysis and reporting.
EMARSS complies with Department of Defense (DOD) Information Technology Standards Registry and Defense Information Systems Network. This architecture enables interoperability with any multiservice or joint system that complies with DOD standard formats for data transfer and dissemination.
BENEFIT TO THE SOLDIER
EMARSS enables the Aerial Exploitation Battalions within the Intelligence and Security Command to provide command and control, mission planning, sustainment support and deployment packages to facilitate worldwide missions in accordance with standard joint and Army tasking processes.
- EMARSS-S: Signals Intelligence with Broad Spectrum Signals Intelligence and High Definition (HD) Full Motion Video (FMV)
- EMARSS-G: Geospatial intelligence with Wide Area Aerial Surveillance (WAAS), Light Detection and Ranging, and HD FMV
- EMARSS-M: Multi-intelligence with Signals Intelligence and HD FMV
- EMARSS-V: Vehicle and Dismount Exploitation Radar with Vehicle and Dismount Moving Target Indication, Signals Intelligence and HD FMV
FY16: EMARSS achieved Urgent Materiel Release (UMR) for EMARSS-S
3QFY16: Deployed two EMARSS-S variants to U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) and one EMARSS-S variant to U.S. Southern Command
FY17: Delivered Initial Variant Modification for EMARSS-G, -M and -V variants
2QFY17: Follow-on Operational Test and Evaluation was completed
4QFY17: Deployed two EMARSS-V and one EMARSS-G variants to U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM)
FY18: Conducted testing on aircraft modification kits that provide increased endurance in high-altitude, hot temperature environments
- EMARSS achieved UMR for all variants
- Deployed two EMARSS-G and one EMARSS-M variants to CENTCOM and one EMARSS-G variant to AFRICOM
FY19: Complete Delivery and Fielding of 24 EMARSS systems
3QFY19: Attain Conditional Materiel Release for all EMARSS variants
- Sustain 24 EMARSS systems
- Develop and procure Pre-Planned Product Improvements and upgrades to the EMARSS system, including cockpit displays, navigation systems, aircraft survivability equipment, signals intelligence systems, Light Detection and Ranging (LIDAR) sensor system and WAAS