The Man-portable Radiological Detection System (MRDS) capability will provide increased Radiological and Nuclear (RN) detection, localization, presumptive identification and field-confirmatory identification capabilities that are networked to provide situational awareness at the tactical level. The MRDS will support Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction (CWMD) Interdiction and Elimination operations, specifically RN Sensitive Site Assessments and Sensitive Site Exploitation. Future capability may also support Reconnaissance and Surveillance across the full range of CWMD operations. This capability supports Radiological and Nuclear Interdiction and WMD-Elimination operations to: systematically locate, secure, characterize and disable WMD programs and related capabilities.
BENEFIT TO THE SOLDIER
The MRDS replaces low-density legacy equipment.
Hand Held Sensor:
- Overall Dimensions (including handle and Ge detector endcap): 15.5 in L x 6.25 in W x 8.25 in H (39.5 cm L x 16 cm W x 21 cm H).
- Weight: 15.4 lbs (6.98 kg) gamma only; 16.8 lbs (7.62 kg) gamma/neutron.
- Internal Battery: Two Rechargeable Lithium Ion; 98 Wh each, nominal; over eight hours of battery life at 25°C when HPGe detectors are cold; <4 hours to charge; internal battery is easily swapped
- External Battery: Battery lifetime may be extended indefinitely by the use of optional external battery packs. An external military battery (Model 2590) weighs less than 3.25 lbs and extends lifetime to more than 16 hrs.
- Input Power: 12 to 17 V DC from battery or DC power supply (universal mains supply included).
- Power Usage: Highest during cool down and charging battery: <100 W; cold with fully charged battery <35 W
- Operation Range Temperature: –20°C to 50°C
- Relative Humidity: 95% non-condensing
- Instrument Enclosure: IP65 sealed against ingress of dust and water. All perforations are sealed by rubber plugs (connectors, memory cards, etc.)
- Wireless Connectivity: IEEE 802.11a/b/g/e/i/h/j standards and IEEE 802.11n wireless and Bluetooth
4QFY17: Capability Production Document signed
3QFY18: Milestone C granted by Milestone Decision Authority
2QFY19: Test Article Delivery
4QFY20: Full Rate Production