The M249 Squad Automatic Weapon is designed as the fire team automatic weapon providing suppressive fire at extended ranges, allowing fire and movement to make contact with and destroy the enemy.
The M240B and 240L 7.62 mm Medium Machine Guns are designed to provide the platoon with accurate, continuous fires to suppress the enemy and allow maneuver to close with and destroy the enemy.
The M2A1 with Quick Change Barrel is an enhancement to the M2 .50 Caliber Machine Gun offering Soldiers increased performance as well as new features and design improvements that make it easier and safer to use. The M2A1 provides a fixed headspace and timing configuration, flash hider and removable carrying handle, which increase the performance of the battle-proven M2. It mounts on the M205 tripod and on most vehicles while also serving as an anti-personnel and anti-aircraft weapon. It is capable of single-shot and automatic fire, can defeat lightly armored vehicles and provides indirect fires from defilade position.
The MK19 Grenade Machine Gun supports the Soldier by delivering heavy, accurate and continuous firepower against enemy personnel and lightly armored vehicles. The MK19 can be mounted on a tripod or on multiple vehicle platforms and is the primary suppression weapon for combat support and combat service support units.
BENEFIT TO THE WARFIGHTER
The M249 allows the warfighter improved weapon control, egress and maneuver in close-quarter combat due to a collapsible buttstock and a new, short barrel. An improved bipod provides Soldiers with increased reliability and weapon accuracy. The M240L is a lightweight variant of the M240B Machine Gun and reduces the Soldier’s combat load while allowing easier handling and movement. The M2A1 speeds target engagement and improves survivability and safety by reducing the time required to change the barrel and eliminating the timely procedure of setting headspace and timing. The MK19 supports the warfighter in both the offense and defense by providing the unit the capability of laying down a heavy volume of close, accurate and continuous 40 mm grenade fire.
- Length: 30.75 inches -36.25 inches
- Weight: 17.95 pounds
- Caliber: 5.56, maximum effective range 800 meters (area), 600 meters (point)
- Rate of fire (rounds/minute): 700-850
- Length: 44.5 inches
- Weight: 27.3 pounds (B), 21.8 pounds (L), 5.5 pounds (barrel)
- Caliber: 7.62, maximum effective range 800 meters (bipod), 1,800 meters (tripod)
- Rate of fire (rounds/minute): 550-650
- Length: 67.75 inches
- Weight: 86 pounds (barrel 26 pounds)
- Caliber: 12.7 mm (NATO), maximum effective range 1,829 meters; maximum range 6,764 meters
- Rate of fire (rounds/minute): 450-600
- Length: 43.1 inches
- Weight: 77.6 pounds
- Caliber: 40 mm, maximum effective range 2,212 meters (area), 1,500 meters (point)
- Rate of fire (rounds/minute): 325-375
- M249: In Sustainment, Army Acquisition Objective (AAO) met
- M240B: In Sustainment, AAO met
- M240L: Through FY18, issued 9,154 240L
- In Sustainment, AAO met
- Supporting FMS requirements
- 2QFY17: Competitively awarded two contracts for M2/M2A1 procurement for all services and Foreign Military Sales (FMS)
- 3QFY18: Issued 32,265 M2A1s
- M249: Modification (MOD) kit under development to enhance performance, reliability and durability
- Continue Fielding to National Guard and Reserve units
- Conducting engineering study to improve barrel design to increase performance
- Introducing a MOD kit which improves reliability, rate of fire, range and accuracy
- Will introduce improved optics and fire control system