The Black Hawk UH/HH-60 is the Army’s utility tactical transport helicopter. It provides air assault, general support, aeromedical evacuation, command and control, and special operations support to combat, stability and support operations. This versatile Black Hawk helicopter has enhanced the Army’s overall mobility due to dramatic improvement in troop and cargo lift capacity. It will serve as the Army’s utility helicopter in the Future Force. There are multiple versions of the UH-60 Black Hawk, including the UH-60M and the UH-60V.
The UH-60M includes the improved GE-701D engine and provides greater cruising speed, rate of climb and internal load than the UH-60A and UH-60L versions. The Medical Evacuation (MEDEVAC) version of the UH-60M, the HH-60M, includes an integrated MEDEVAC Mission Equipment Package kit, providing day, night and adverse weather emergency evacuation of casualties.
The UH-60V is designed to update the existing UH-60L analog architecture to a digital infrastructure, enabling the upgraded aircraft to have a similar Pilot-Vehicle Interface and commonality of training as the UH-60M.
BENEFIT TO THE SOLDIER
On the asymmetric battlefield, the Black Hawk enables commanders to get to the fight quicker and to mass effects throughout the battlespace across the full spectrum of conflict. A single Black Hawk can transport an entire 11-person, fully equipped infantry squad faster than a predecessor system in most weather conditions. The aircraft’s critical components and systems are armored or redundant, and its airframe is designed to crush progressively on impact to protect crew and passengers. The UH-60M and the UH-60V are a digital networked platform with greater range and lift to support maneuver commanders through air assault, command and control, general support and aeromedical evacuation.
- Max Gross Weight (pounds): 20,250 (A); 22,000 (L/V); 22,000 (M)
- Cruise Speed (knots): 149 (A); 150 (L/V); 152 (M)
- Rate Climb (feet/minute): 814 (A); 1,315 (L/V); 1,646 (M)
- Engines (Two each): GE-700 (A); GE-701C (L/V); GE-701D (M)
- External Load (pounds): 8,000 (A); 8,000 (L/V); 9,000 (M)
- Internal Load (pounds): 2,640 (A); 2,640 (L/V); 3,190 (M)
- Crew: Two pilots, two crew chiefs
- Armament: Two 7.62 mm machine guns
- 3QFY17: First Flight
- 4QFY18: Limited User Test
- Through FY18: Fielded 960 UH-60M to Active Army, Reserve and the National Guard
- FY19-FY23: Multiyear X Contract Award
- 1QFY19: Milestone C
- 4QFY19: Initial Operational Test & Evaluation
- 2QFY20: Full Rate Production Decision
- 3QFY21: First Unit Equipped