The Load Handling System Compatible Water Tank Rack (Hippo) enhances and expedites the delivery of bulk potable water into the division and brigade areas. It represents the latest in bulk water distribution technology and replaces the 3,000 and 5,000 semitrailer-mounted fabric tanks.
The Hippo is fully functional, mounted or dismounted, and is air- and ground-transportable when full, partially full or empty. It is Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck Palletized Load System (PLS) and PLS trailer compatible. The Hippo can be moved and set up rapidly using minimal assets and personnel. No site preparation is required, and its modular configuration supports expeditionary joint forces operations.
BENEFIT TO THE SOLDIER
Hippo provides the Army with the capability to receive, store and distribute potable water to warfighting units deployed throughout the battlefield.
- Consists of a 2,000-gallon potable-water tank in an International Organization for Standardization frame
- Employs integrated pump, engine, alternator, filling stand and 70-foot hose reel with bulk suction and discharge hoses
- Pumps 125 gallons of water per minute
- Prevents water from freezing in cold weather environments down to minus 25 degrees Fahrenheit
- Start of Work Meeting; Urgent Buy Contract
- Production Verification Test; Urgent Buy Contract
- Acquisition Plan approval; follow-on production contract
4QFY18: Urgent Buy Fielding through FY19
1QFY19: Source Selection Evaluation Board (follow-on production contract)
3QFY20: Development Test/Operational Test