The M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) is a full-spectrum, combat-proven, all-weather, 24/7, lethal and responsive, wheeled precision strike weapons system. HIMARS is a C-130 air transportable wheeled launcher mounted on 5-ton Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles XM1140A1 truck chassis organic/assigned to Field Artillery Brigades. The current HIMARS includes an increased crew protection armored cab. HIMARS supports an expeditionary, lethal, survivable, and tactically mobile force. It will launch all Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) Family of Munitions rockets and missiles. The HIMARS carries one launch pod containing either six Guided MLRS (GMLRS)/MLRS rockets or one Army Tactical Missile System (ATACMS) missile.
HIMARS is designed to support joint early and forced entry expeditionary operations with high-volume destructive, suppressive, and counter-battery fires. When firing GMLRS-Unitary precision rockets, HIMARS can achieve ranges of 70-plus kilometers, attacking the target with low-collateral damage, enabling danger-close fires (within 200 meters) in support of friendly troops in contact, as well as engaging high-valued point targets in open, urban, and complex environments. Development efforts include establishing a Common Fire Control System (CFCS) between the HIMARS and MLRS launchers. The Army Fleet Expansion effort will increase the size of the HIMARS fleet.
BENEFIT TO THE SOLDIER
The HIMARS launcher provides 24-hour, all-weather, lethal, close- and long-range precision rocket and missile fire support for joint forces, early-entry expeditionary forces, contingency forces, and field artillery brigades supporting Brigade Combat Teams. HIMARS is rapidly deployable by C-130, quickly enhancing combat effectiveness.
- Empty weight: 29,800 pounds
- Combat loaded weight: 35,800 pounds
- Max speed: 94 km per hour
- Max cruising range: 483 km
- Ordnance options: All current and future MLRS rockets and current ATACMS missiles
- 4QFY18: Contract award for 24 HIMARS (Definitized 4QFY19)
- 4QFY19: Contract award for 17 HIMARS
- 3QFY21: Contract award for 5 HIMARS
- Field 3-27 FA
- CFCS Production
- 1QFY22: Field 3X9 configuration to 3-27 FA
- 3QFY22: Contract award for 11 HIMARS (Universal Fire Control System)
- 3QFY23: Contract award for 27 HIMARS (CFCS)