The Soldier Protection System (SPS) is the Army’s next-generation Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) system. SPS is a modular, scalable, tailorable system designed to defeat current threats at a reduced weight in comparison to the Army’s existing PPE. The SPS is based on the parallel development of three subsystems.
The Vital Torso Protection (VTP) variants include lighter weight Enhanced Small Arm Protective Inserts/Enhanced Side Ballistic Inserts (ESAPI/ESBI), as well as the X Threat Small Arms Protective Inserts (XSAPI) and X Threat Side Ballistic Inserts (XSBI) for deployers.
The Torso and Extremity Protection (TEP) is further comprised of multiple components, including the Modular Scalable Vest (MSV), the Ballistic Combat Shirt (BCS) and the Blast Pelvic Protector (BPP).
The Integrated Head Protection System (IHPS) will include a 5 percent lighter weight helmet system composed of helmet/maxillofacial, Military Combat Eye Protection (MCEP) and passive hearing protection with increased blunt impact performance. MCEP is a large selection of protective eyewear included on the Army’s Authorized Protective Eyewear List (APEL).
BENEFIT TO THE WARFIGHTER
SPS increases the warfighter’s survivability, mobility, modularity and lethality by optimizing Soldier protection while effectively reducing weight with the latest technologies and managing all life cycle aspects of personal protective equipment. SPS provides the Soldier with multiple levels of ballistic protection tailorable to a broad range of missions.
VTP achieves 7-14 percent weight reduction over the current plates.
- ESAPI and XSAPI sizes: XS, S, S-Long, M, L and XL. Two additional sizes are in development XS-Short and S-Short to accommodate smaller-statured Soldiers.
- ESBI and XSBI sizes: Small 6×6 inches, Medium 6×8 inches and Large 7×8 inches
TEP achieves 18-20 percent weight reduction over current soft armor vest/plate carrier.
- Number of sizes: MSV= 8; BCS = 10; BPP = 6
IHPS achieves 5-7 percent weight reduction over current helmet.
- Mounted configuration – includes maxillofacial protection (visor and mandible)
- Boltless retention system
- Side rail mounts
- IHPS Milestone C, entering Production
- TCEP Milestone C, entering Production
2QFY17: Integrated Soldier Sensor System Milestone C, entering Production and Fielding
4QFY17: IHPS Low Rate Initial Production (LRIP) Award
2QFY18: IHPS LRIP first lot delivery
- TEP MSV Justification and Approval (J&A)
- TEP BPP J&A
- Award E and X Torso and Side Ballistic Insert First Article Test contracts
- TCEP added to the Authorized Protective Eyewear List Addition
- 1QFY19: VTP Full Rate Production (FRP) ESBI contract Awards
- 1QFY19: IHPS FRP decision
- 2QFY19: VTP FRP ESAPI and XSAPI contract awards
- 2QFY19: Published Approved Protective Eyewear List (APEL)
- 2QFY19: Next generation IHPS Pre Solicitation Meeting with Industry
- TEP Improved Outer Tactical Vest repurposing
- 150 NG IHPS Prototypes to Soldiers for evaluation
- 4QFY19: Began ESAPI First Article Test (FAT)
FY20 – FY21:
- SPS components follow-on contract solicitation and awards