The Army Materiel Systems Analysis Activity Technical Report No. TR-2013032, June 2013, determined that there was a need for multiple systems to achieve the required capabilities for the Next Generation Chemical Detector (NGCD). NGCD was separated into four distinct programs providing different capabilities of systems. The programs are: Aerosol Vapor Chemical Agent Detection (AVCAD), Aerosol and Vapor Detector Alarm; Proximity Chemical Agent Detection (PCAD), Survey Detector; Multi Phase Chemical Agent Detection (MPCAD), Sample Collection and Analysis; and Compact Vapor Chemical Agent Detection (CVCAD), Man-Worn and Unmanned Detector.
NGCD programs collectively will detect and identify nontraditional agents (NTA), chemical warfare agents (CWA), toxic industrial chemicals (TIC) and other hazards in the air and on surfaces. These programs will improve CWA/TIC selectivity and sensitivity in multiple environments. The NGCD programs will sample, detect, identify and quantify traditional and nontraditional chemical and TIC vapor, liquid, solid and aerosol hazards. The warfighter will be able to characterize Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) environment in air and water as well as on land, personnel, equipment and facilities.
NGCD programs will support manned and unmanned platform integration and the following combat weapons of mass destruction (WMD) military mission areas: CBRN passive defense; WMD interdiction; WMD elimination and WMD consequence management.
BENEFIT TO THE SOLDIER
The four separate NGCD programs will provide capabilities and sensors to the warfighter with improved detection, consequence management and reconnaissance, and WMD interdiction.
- AVCAD: Handheld man-portable, battery-operated, aerosol and vapor detection
- PCAD: Handheld man-portable, battery-operated, liquid/solid surface detection
- MPCAD: Two-man-portable, shore-and-battery-powered, collector and analyzer with very low detection levels
- CVCAD: Man-worn, battery-operated with integration on unmanned ground system and unmanned aerial system platforms
- All detect NTA, CWA and TIC
- AVCAD: Engineering Manufacturing and Development (EMD) Phase
- PCAD: Technology Maturation and Risk Reduction Phase
- MPCAD: Pre-EMD Phase
- CVCAD: Material Solution Analysis (MSA) Phase
1QFY18: AVCAD Milestone B awarded: Initial Operational Capability (IOC) FY23
4QFY18: MPCAD Milestone B Award: IOC FY23
FY21: CVCAD Milestone A: IOC FY26
FY25: PCAD Milestone B: IOC FY28