The Enhanced Night Vision Goggle – Binocular (ENVG-B) provides dismounted Brigade Combat Team Warfighters the capability to observe and maneuver in all weather conditions, through obscurants, during limited visibility, and under all lighting conditions while enabling rapid detection and target engagement with rifle-mounted aiming lasers. ENVG-B uses image intensification, infrared (thermal) sensors, wireless connectivity through Intra Soldier Wireless, and augmented reality enhancements. The introduction of the high figure of merit white phosporus tubes allows the user to see images in a white field instead of the current green background.
BENEFIT TO THE SOLDIER
ENVG-B allows the individual Soldier to see, understand, and act first during all limited visibility conditions. The goggles combine the visual detail in low-light conditions that is provided by image intensification coupled with the thermal sensor’s ability to see through fog, dust, and smoke. This thermal capability makes ENVG-B useful during the day as well as at night, unlike earlier night vision devices. Higher resolution stereoscopic displays allow for faster target acquisition by improving separation of targets from background. Additionally, ENVG-B will receive wirelessly transmitted weapon sight crosshair and thermal imagery from the Family of Weapon Sights-Individual; thus, providing a Rapid Target Acquisition capability that enables Soldiers to detect, recognize, and engage targets accurately from any carry position and with significantly reduced exposure to enemy fire. The ENVG-B is also interoperable with Nett Warrior through wireless transmission of Augmented Reality to improve the Soldier’s situational awareness.
- Man-sized target recognition:
- 80% probability at 150 meters (threshold) and 300 meters (objective)
- 50% probability at 300 meters (threshold) and 550 meters (objective)
- Total system weight:
- Less than 2.5 pounds (threshold) and 1.5 pounds (objective)
- Operating hours (continuous fusion):
- Greater than 7.5 hours (threshold) and 15 hours (objective)
- 4QFY20: Milestone C Decision and Low Rate Initial Production Award for Program of Record (POR)
- 4QFY19: Initial Fielding for ENVG-B Directed Requirement
- 2QFY21: Critical Design Review
- 3QFY21: Operational Test
- 4QFY21: First Article Test
- 2QFY22: First Unit Equipped for ENVG-B POR