The Man Transportable Robotic System Increment II (MTRS Inc II) is a remotely operated, medium-sized robotic system that provides a standoff capability to detect, confirm, identify, and dispose of hazards. MTRS Inc II has a standard chassis and modular mission payloads in support of current and future missions. MTRS Inc II supports Engineers, Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (CBRN) Soldiers and Special Operations Forces. It is part of the Army’s common modernized unmanned ground vehicles fleet and is a Program of Record to replace multiple capabilities quickly procured to support Operations IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM. Through full and open competition, the Army realized an approximate 50% reduction in MTRS Inc II unit price as compared to the unit price contained in the Life Cycle Cost Estimate.
BENEFIT TO THE SOLDIER
The MTRS Inc II provides the Warfighter with a remote standoff ability to locate, identify, and clear landmines, unexploded ordnance, and improvised explosive devices in the path of maneuvering Army or Joint forces. It also provides CBRN Soldiers with the capability to employ CBRN sensors from a distance. It replaces the aging non-standard fleet of robots with enhanced capabilities to clear obstacles and threats, improving the ability to maneuver, and enhancing survivability. Recognizing the benefits of this enhanced capability, sister services are joining the program on their own accord to procure MTRS.
- Handheld controller allows operator a standoff capability to operate MTRS Inc II from a mounted or dismounted location and receive video and vehicle control data
- Employs the Army’s Robotics and Autonomous Systems Interoperability Profile, which defines both hardware and software interfaces to enable a plug-and-play payload concept
- Allows multiple payload platforms to improve support to Soldiers in current and future operating environments
- Improved optics within high-definition camera with pan/tilt/zoom features to better identify hazards
- Increased robotic arm performance: MTRS Inc II features a 5-degree-of-freedom manipulator arm that pivots 360 degrees and a “wrist” joint allowing the gripper and camera to look over and down onto elevated surfaces, providing greater fidelity
- Multimedia (interactive) operator and maintenance technical manuals for ease of training and sustainment
- 2QFY19: Limited User Test
- FY20: MTRS Inc II Fielding was originally slated for FY21, however, the program office successfully accelerated Fielding by more than a year at Army leadership’s request
- 2QFY20: First Unit Equipped, 55th Explosive Ordnance Disposal Company, Ft. Belvoir, VA
- FY21: Verification of Fixes Cyber Test; Full Materiel Release