Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) Systems and Program Management (MSSPM) Non-Resident Master’s Degree Program
General Program Information:
The NPS-MSSPM 2-year program is designed for Department of Defense (DoD) and other federal agencies to obtain an acquisition defense-focused advanced degree in a distance learning format. The NPS-MSSPM is an interdisciplinary program combining systems engineering with program management knowledge and skills. The program is intended to broaden the technical capabilities of the acquisition workforce who may have non-technical backgrounds so they are able to successfully manage and lead programs/projects in support of the Defense Acquisition System. Students in this program learn the systems engineering process from establishing system requirements through test and evaluation. Simultaneously, students learn how to manage, schedule, and budget programs as well as work with DoD suppliers through contracts to meet program obligations. Learn more at https://nps.edu/web/dl/degProgs_MSSPM_nonRes.
Specific educational credit information is provided in the announcement posted below on this website.
Who May Apply and Eligibility Requirements
Who May Apply:
Permanent Army acquisition workforce civilians who meet both the NPS eligibility requirements and the USAASC Army DACM Office eligibility requirements listed below are eligible to apply to the NPS-MSSPM program.
NPS Eligibility Requirements:
Any undergraduate degree (BA, BS, other) with minimum undergraduate quality point rating (QPR) 2.2.
Army DACM Office Eligibility Requirements:
- Army acquisition workforce civilian must be coded as “1 -Permanent – Tenure Group 1” in the Defense Civilian Personnel Data System at the time of submitting their application in CAPPMIS.
- Must be a GS-11 through GS-15 or broadband/payband equivalent
- Must meet certification level (minimum Level II) required for current acquisition position in any acquisition career field
- Must have a Letter of Acceptance from NPS for the class specified in the announcement
- Must not currently possess a master’s degree in a business or acquisition discipline
Department of Defense laboratories designated as Science and Technology Reinvention Laboratories who meet the following eligibility requirements may apply to the NPS-MSSPM Program:
- Must be a permanent (non-temporary/non-term) civilian member of the Army Acquisition Workforce Exception: Per the Section 1109, FY16 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) and Section 11.A.3.f, 82 Federal Register 43339, eligibility to participate in the NPS-MSSPM Program is extended to flexible length and renewable term technical appointment employees in the Department of Defense laboratories designated as Science and Technology Reinvention Laboratories (STRLs).
- Term employees not appointed under Section 1109, FY16 NDAA are not eligible for the NPS-MSSPM Program.
- All other eligibility requirements must be met.
NPS Application Process
Eligible Army acquisition workforce civilians must obtain a conditional letter of acceptance from the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS). Applicants may accomplish this by directly visiting http://my.nps.edu/web/dl/degProgs_MSSPM_nonRes website and following the instructions for Army DACM Office applicants. Individuals who obtained conditional letters of acceptance for prior year’s application can submit their conditional letter of acceptance for the current NPS-MSSPM announcement. Please confirm with NPS that there are no additional requirements. You must meet all NPS-MSSPM eligibility requirements in order to participate in the program if you should be selected for participation by the Army DACM office.
Requests for officially sealed transcripts from all schools attended (undergrad/grad) must be sent directly to NPS. Applications and all requests for official transcripts (sealed) from all undergraduate/graduate schools attended must be received by NPS no later than the date posted in the current announcement. NPS also accepts official transcripts electronically from institutions providing that service. Official transcripts can be electronically transferred to firstname.lastname@example.org. While you are awaiting your conditional letter of Acceptance from NPS you can initiate your Army DACM Office application.
Army DACM Office Application Process:
The online application process used to submit an application for consideration of funding for the NPS-MSSPM Program is the Army Acquisition Professional Development System (AAPDS). AAPDS is the automated application system that can be accessed via the Career Acquisition Management Portal (CAMP). Eligible Army acquisition workforce civilians must click on the “Career Acquisition Personnel and Position Management Information System” (CAPPMIS). Once in CAPPMIS, select the “AAPDS” tab and then select the “Apply” tab. Select the blue link under status (if available) to apply to the program.
Uhura N. Smith
Acquisition Training and Education Manager USAASC – Army DACM Office
Ms. Heather Hahn
Distance Learning Education Technician