Inspiring and Developing Excellence in Acquisition Leaders
IDEAL is a leader development program for GS-12 and -13 (or broadband equivalent) Army Acquisition Workforce (AAW) new and emerging supervisors. Participants should possess clearly documented potential for supervisory or leadership positions.
FY 2023 will have two IDEAL cohorts, both in Huntsville, AL. Each cohort will consist of three one-week resident sessions held over a period of approximately five months. In between sessions, participants will return to their workplaces where they will utilize newly learned skills and put into practice the concepts and competencies they studied and examined during the resident sessions.
The IDEAL curriculum includes classroom instruction, engagement with senior leaders, a site visit and group activities.
Applicants must meet all of the following requirements:
- Must be a permanent tenure Civilian member of the Army Acquisition Workforce. Exception: per the Section 1109, FY16 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) and Section 11.A.3.f, 82 Federal Register 43339, eligibility to participate in the IDEAL program is extended to flexible length and renewable term technical appointment employees in the Department of Defense laboratories designated as Science and Technology Reinvention Laboratories (STRLs). Term employees not appointed under Section 1109, FY16 NDAA are not eligible for the IDEAL program. Tenure status is indicated on the SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, Block 24.
- Must be GS-12 or -13 (or broadband equivalent)
- Must meet DAWIA position certification requirement
- Strongly recommended: Completion of Acquisition Leadership Challenge Program-I (ALCP-I). For more information on this program, please visit https://asc.army.mil/web/career-development/programs/acquisition-leadership-challenge-program/
NOTE: ALCP-1 participants complete several behavioral and personality inventories which provide personal insight into how individuals apply themselves in leadership situations. Completion of ALCP-1 and the inventories complements IDEAL participation. Taking ALCP-1 first will enable you to apply what you learned about yourself through the inventories to achieve during IDEAL a richer understanding of your leadership styles and tendencies. If you have not taken ALCP-1, but would like to do so prior to IDEAL FY23, please contact the IDEAL Program Manager (contact info at bottom of page) for the possibility of being placed into an ALCP-1 class prior to IDEAL. NOTE ALSO that starting with IDEAL FY24, ALCP-1 will be a mandatory requirement for application to IDEAL.
Announcement Opening: 1 June 2022
Announcement Closing: 3 August 2022
Applicant Selection Notification: September 2022
Huntsville Cohort A starts: 14 November 2022
Huntsville Cohort B starts: 22 May 2023
Focus on Supervisor/Leader Development
Training and equipping supervisors to lead across the workforce leads to increased retention and higher productivity. The development of Army leaders and supervisors is critical in managing the talents of our personnel. This course focuses on Self-development, Interpersonal Relationships, and Strategic Management to enhance existing skills and abilities to meet our multi-domain operations-capable force objectives.
IDEAL is targeted to new and emerging supervisors who are seeking to refine their leadership skills or develop them in preparation for a supervisory or leadership position. If supervisory development and preparation is not your focus, please visit our website to learn about other programs for the AAW: https://asc.army.mil/web/career-development/programs.
FY 2023 will have two IDEAL cohorts, both in Huntsville, AL. Applicants will be asked to state their cohort preference as part of the application process. The DACM Office will slate selectees to one cohort based on selectee placement on an Order of Merit List that is determined by the IDEAL review board, selectee preference, and availability of DACM Office resources. Participants will attend all three IDEAL sessions with the one cohort to which they are slated. Participants will not attend sessions across cohorts.
The dates for the three resident sessions, by cohort, are as follows:
Huntsville Cohort A:
Session 1: 14 – 18 November 2022
Session 2: 9 – 13 January 2023
Session 3: 13 – 17 March 2023
Huntsville Cohort B:
Session 1: 22 – 26 May 2023
Session 2: 24 – 28 July 2023
Session 3: 18 – 22 September 2023
For each resident session, participants will attend class all day Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, with half days on Friday. PARTICIPANTS ARE EXPECTED TO ATTEND ALL SESSIONS, ALL CLASSES.
Continuous Learning Points (CLPs)
Participants completing the three resident weeks of IDEAL and all IDEAL activities and assignments will receive 112 CLPs.
Funding and Travel
The Army DACM Office will fund tuition and fees for all IDEAL participants, as well as TDY (travel, per diem, lodging, and rental car) for those who must travel to attend.
The DACM Office will not reimburse travel time; travelers seeking travel comp time or any other type of compensation for traveling must make arrangements with their command/organization. Organizations and commands are responsible for the compensation, salary, and benefits of their employees attending IDEAL. IDEAL participants remain on their organizations’ TDAs.
Curriculum and Competencies
IDEAL utilizes a competency-based approach focused on Army leadership competencies identified in Army Regulation 600-100, Army Profession and Leadership Policy. The competencies are standard across all Acquisition Functional Areas.
- Prepares Self
- Builds Trust
- Stewards the Profession
- Develops Others
- Leads by Example
- Gets Results
- Creates a Positive Environment
- Leads Others
- Extends Influence
The focus of each resident session will be as follows:
Session 1: Self-development
Session 2: Interpersonal Relationships
Session 3: Strategic Management
Classroom instruction will consist of facilitator-led modules that explore the stated program competencies, as well as multi-day classes that provide a deeper dive into supervisory and leadership topics. Participants will enhance and supplement their learning with an acquisition-relevant site visit, group activities, and engagements with senior leaders who visit the class in guest speaker roles. IDEAL participants have further opportunity to practice leadership skills in their workplaces between the program sessions.
HOW TO APPLY
The application process is located online in the Army Acquisition Professional Development System (AAPDS). To access AAPDS,
- Log into the Career Acquisition Management Portal (CAMP) at https://apps.asc.army.mil/camp/
- Click on the “CAPPMIS” button
- Once in CAPPMIS, click the “AAPDS” tab
- Click on “Apply”
- Find Inspiring and Developing Excellence in Acq Ldrs (IDEAL) FY23 in the list and click the associated “Apply” link in the rightmost column
Follow the instructions within each section and click the “Submit Application” button when you have completed your application. If you would like to save your work and return to your application later, click the “Save” button.
Note for flexible length and renewable term AAW employees of Science and Technology Reinvention Laboratories (STRLs): In order to apply for IDEAL, your supervisor must verify that you are an STRL employee appointed under Section 1109, FY16 NDAA. Supervisor must submit verification email to the IDEAL program manager (contact info at bottom of this page). You will not be able to start your application in CAPPMIS until the program manager has received and responded to the email. STRL employees must meet all other IDEAL eligibility requirements.
Complete online applications must be finalized and submitted NLT midnight 3 August 2022. Late applications will not be accepted.
The following documents must be submitted and information must be accurate in AAPDS.
- Verification of Applicant/Supervisor Data. Validate your email address and your supervisor’s information; check the boxes if your email address and supervisor’s information is correct.
- Acquisition Career Record Brief (ACRB). Ensure your ACRB is updated and correct prior to submission of application. Confirm that your ACRB is accurate by checking the provided box. Applicants may update and correct specific fields of their ACRB using the edit functions within CAPPMIS. For areas in the ACRB that cannot be changed by the applicant, please request assistance from the USAASC Help Desk by clicking “Help Request” within CAMP / CAPPMIS and submitting an online request.
- Resume. Upload your resume in PDF format. Please use 12 point Times New Roman with a 1 inch margin and a maximum of 3 pages. Be sure to address positions that highlight your leadership capabilities. Applicants should also highlight their qualities and strengths instead of listing responsibilities. Ensure experience descriptions and dates match those in the ACRB. Strongly suggest you use the resume template at https://asc.army.mil/web/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Resume-Template.pdf.
- Senior Rater Potential Evaluation (SRPE). Ensure that your most recent SRPE is in the system. Your most recent SRPE should have an end date of 30 September 2021. Failure to have a current completed/finalized SRPE in the CAPPMIS system at the time of announcement closing will result in the applicant being declared ineligible and the application will not be provided to the Board for consideration. All applicants are advised to engage early with their supervisors to ensure that a SRPE is complete/finalized in time to apply for the IDEAL program. For more information about the SRPE, log into CAMP (https://apps.asc.army.mil/camp/), click on CAPPMIS, and then click on the SRPE tab.
- Statement of Interest. Type your statement of interest in this section. In 2,500 characters or less, please describe your reasons for applying to IDEAL. Clearly articulate your goals, desired career path, how IDEAL will help you achieve your specific goals, and the benefits the Army will gain by your participation.
- Statement of Preference for IDEAL FY 2023. Complete the provided form and upload it as a PDF. Be sure the form is completed in accordance with the instructions at the top of the form. Both the applicant and his or her supervisor must sign and date the form. Incorrectly completed or unsigned forms will be returned for correction. Click here to download the Statement of Preference: Statement of Preference for IDEAL FY 2023.
The Army DACM Office will administer a Board to review and rate eligible applications. The DACM will make final selections and slate the selectees to one of the two cohorts. The IDEAL program manager will notify all candidates of the status of their applications.