FROM THE ARMY DACM OFFICE
The Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Acquisition, Logistics and Technology and the Army Director for Acquisition Career Management (DACM) Office in the U.S. Army Acquisition Support Center are in the final stages of developing and staffing an Army Acquisition Workforce (AAW) Human Capital Strategic Plan (HCSP) for approval. When approved, this HCSP will guide the process for anticipating workforce gaps and provide solutions to recruit, develop and retain a highly skilled, engaged AAW over the next five years. As we continue collaboration with HCSP stakeholders, the DACM will host the semiannual State of the Army Acquisition Workforce General Officer/Senior Executive Service Forum on May 9, 2016, where human capital will be the main focus.
Defense Acquisition Workforce Development Fund: The data call for the FY17 plan is open until May 18, 2016. Funding approval will be prioritized and allocated according to Army acquisition and organizational priorities. Visit the webpage for more information.
Army DACM Memorandum, Senior Rater Potential Evaluation (SRPE) Policy: Information outlining the expansion of acquisition workforce employees subject to completion of SRPE was released on July 10, 2015. This policy applies to all current and subsequent civilian AAW members at GS-12 and higher and broadband equivalents, and their rating officials.
The SRPE is to be prepared by senior raters every fiscal year, commencing Oct. 1, 2015 and based on the potential demonstrated during the previous fiscal year (e.g., October 2014 – September 2015), using a phased implementation:
- October 2015 – Phase 1: GS-14s and broadband equivalents
- October 2016 – Phase 2: Phase 1 plus GS-13s and broadband equivalents
- October 2017 – Phase 3: Phase 2 plus GS-12s and broadband equivalents
- October 2018 – Phase 4: Phase 3 plus GS-15s and broadband equivalents
Please note that local union bargaining obligations have been met in the South Central and North Central regions. As a result, AAW Bargaining Unit employees, their raters and senior raters received an email notification on April 1, 2016, to begin preparing SRPEs. Local union bargaining obligations are still underway in the West, Northeast and Southwest regions.
Army DACM News: The current edition was released April 13. This quarterly e-newsletter provides pertinent and timely acquisition career-related news impacting the AAW. The April issue includes additional information on the HCSP, the FY17 DAWDF Data Call and the Defense Civilian Emerging Leader Program, as well as a host of other topics.
CAREER DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
- The fourth quarter announcement for the Acquisition Leader Challenge Program opened on May 2. This is an excellent leadership development seminar series for AAW members at GS-7 through GS-15, featuring three different courses. Visit the program page for additional details.
- The application for the Defense Civilian Emerging Leader Program is open from May 3 to June 2. The program is open to permanent (non-temporary/non-term) Army Acquisition civilians at GS-7 through GS-12 and broadband equivalents who have met their current position certification requirements.
- The Acquisition Tuition Assistance Program application opens on May 9.
- The announcement for the Competitive Development Group/Army Acquisition Fellowship will open in June. Please stay tuned for further details.
DAU COURSE UPDATES
The FY17 Defense Acquisition University (DAU) course schedule will be available for student registration in ATRRS AITAS on May 17. It is highly recommended that students take time now to review the required prerequisite(s) in the DAU iCatalog and complete them prior to registration for an FY17 course. Planning ahead will ensure timely completion of DAWIA certification requirements and enrollment in the desired course(s). The Army DACM Office also suggests that students apply early to have a better chance of obtaining a class in the required timeframe. Also, students should ask supervisors to approve all training requests as soon as the application is submitted.